October 31, 2014, 12:12:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How much weight on the roof?  (Read 3032 times)
UCLAman
Kindlin' Collector

« on: June 14, 2011, 10:15:34 PM »

Hello, everyone. It's my first post here and have read numerous threads and am getting excited about upcoming summer camping trips. Here's the back ground info - I have inherited a 1974 Starcraft pup that is in excellent condition that has 2 roof racks/rails for carrying, for example, a light weight aluminum boat (upsidedown). In the past I have carried only my mountain bike on the roof of the pup. I bolted a Yamika bike holder thingy (called a Blockhead) on the front roof rail. (The "Blockhead" basically holds the front fork of bike. I tie down the rear wheel of the bike to the rear rail using a bungee to prevent the rear of the bike from moving around.) Well, now that my daughter is going on 7 she has discovered how fun biking is. This means that not only does my mountain bike need to go but also my wife's and my daughters!! After buying my wife's bike I was going to throw that bike on the roof of the camper as well...until i actually lifted it (Low cost STEEL beach cruiser - read: HEAVY!)

My question is: how much weight is safe to put directly on the roof of the pup trailer? Granted, only the rear tires are on the roof of the pup. I was not concerned with my mountain bike - not that heavy. My wife's bike different story. We are pulling with a toyota tundra so I am thinking of playing it safe and just loading the wife's bike and daughters bike in the bed of the tundra. But I still want to know what weight is safe for the roof. Cuz now I am also thinking of taking my 17 pound road bike as well for some early morning bike rides. (Heading to Big Bear Lake in So Cal) What do you guys think? Thanks in advance.

Rene
friartuck
Back-er-in-er

Rochester Hills, MI

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 04:06:58 AM »

The Starcraft folks will be here soon . . .   Big Smile
A Rule of Thumb is 300# closed, 150# popped up, minus the weight of the AC,  although your limits may vary.
Putting the beach cruiser, kids bike, mtn bike and road bike should not stress the limit of the roof, just your back getting everything lifted and mounted  Dead.  I'd be more concerned about the rear wheels just bungeed on to the rail myself.  And with the Blockheads your road and mtn bikes are probably OK (quick release frt whls) but the cruiser and kids bike?  More prep time before and after pulling on and off the wheels.  Get a nice set of bike racks (Swagman makes a decent inexpensive rack) or Yakima, Thule, ProRac or search the various homemade racks on the forum.  Then you can just load the bikes with the wheels on and away you go.
Enjoy the ride!

PS consider a way to cover the seat/handlebars/fork/computer on the road bike.  Do you know how hard it is to get bug guts out of the carbon forks and computer  Dead We won't even mention a wet leather saddle (yes I'm old school that way) with bug guts . . .

Friar Tuck Michigan
'08 F150-5.4-3.53 (Bubbles)
'08 Fleetwood Bayside (The Lap O' Luxury v2.0)
Airborne Zeppelin-Fuji Nevada-Ws Tarpon 160i
retiredtraveler
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 05:17:21 AM »

You can definitely handle the weight on the roof. As the other poster suggested, you may need to think through your strategy of how you want to load/unload the bikes. We opted for a bike carrier that attaches to the hitch receiver on the TV that has enough clearance to be used while towing. So, it can be used when not towing.
   I mention that as we often camp, but commute to a bike trail somewhere else in the area. If we stored the bikes on the camper, we wouldn't be able to take the bikes to the trail without purchasing a 2nd bike rack. But, if you're only looking to bike around the cg, it's a moot point.

"Americans can always be counted on to do the right thing...after they have exhausted all other possibilities."   --  Winston Churchill

North 'burbs of Chitown
RV: 2007 Jayco 1206 w/slideout,shower, surge brakes
TV: :  2005 Nissan Xterra --- 6 speed manual trans
55 watt solar panel
Tent camper for 30 years
5000+ miles of hiking primarily in NP's, lots of biking
friartuck
Back-er-in-er

Rochester Hills, MI

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 09:48:52 AM »

but commute to a bike trail somewhere else in the area
That could be a problem alrighty!  In our case the kayaks are on the truck rack (16+ ftrs so they don't fit the pup) and when we loaded up for the bike ride starting point we had to completely unload the bed to make room for the bikes!.  But around the campground, no problem!  We almost never get a lakeside or launchable site for the boats so it's easier for us to leave the kayaks on the truck to drive to the boat launch.  Big Smile

Friar Tuck Michigan
'08 F150-5.4-3.53 (Bubbles)
'08 Fleetwood Bayside (The Lap O' Luxury v2.0)
Airborne Zeppelin-Fuji Nevada-Ws Tarpon 160i
austinado16
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 03:22:11 PM »

Welcome and GO TEAM STARCRAFT!!

My manual from 1987 says 100lbs on the roof.  It'll hold more and back in the day they had an advertisement photo with several Starcaft personell standing the roof, and another promo with a pop-up camper sitting on the roof.  I believe the 100lb limit is for what the lift system can handle without being damaged.

The horizontal part of the roof is just aluminum sheet glued to styrofoam, glued to 1/8" thick luan plywood for the ceiling.  I wouldn't bolt anything to it, or allow anything to ride on the aluminum surface.  If something is going to contact the surface, I'd put something wide and soft between the carried item, and the roof skin.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: