August 01, 2014, 01:48:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: 2011 StarCraft EXP 237  (Read 10366 times)
mtkeg
Handle Cranker

« on: August 31, 2010, 05:37:55 PM »

I sold my TrailCruiser C-17 and will pick up my new StarCraft in two days.  Are there any owners of the same?  Interested in finding out about do's and don't.

Thanks in advance.

Mtkeg
shum
PUXaholic

Real trucks have NO spark plugs!

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 12:34:13 PM »

Since Jayco is making them in-house and just branding them "StarCraft" I have no idea how there quality is anymore. 

2006 F350 Lariat FX4 4x4 CC PSD Ford
2007 KZ Outdooorsman 2505 QSS-F TravTlr Green
shum
SwingingBonnie DW
DS & DD
"don't panic"  Douglas Adams
Don't Dwell on the Past
FYBO II, III & IV!
Ontario Provincial Parks Advocate
mtkeg
Handle Cranker

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 12:05:23 PM »

thanks, we were told it was being made through Jayco but the dealership we bought it through compared it to a GMC as opposed to a Chevy.  Several other people I know say it is in fact better quality in the end ......but you lose one year on the warranty of the Jayco.
bikendan
Back-er-in-er

Marin Redwoods "Redwoods Roo"

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 11:50:56 PM »

the 237 is the Starcraft twin of the Jayco 23J. there have been more and more new owners of this floorplan and i was very impressed with the 237 at the local hybrid dealer.

you might ask for some feedback from the few 23J owners here and on RV.net's Hybrid forum.

by the way, the new 237/23J has the best seal/hinge system for the bunk doors that i've ever seen on any hybrid.

Dan-Firefighter
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur
Zoe-The Golden Fetching Machine(RIP)
Hybrid Orange 2007 Roo 23SS
Chevrolet 2007 Avalanche
California Napa, Cal.
mtkeg
Handle Cranker

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 12:05:22 AM »

thanks Bikendan!
yorkgm
Handle Cranker

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 10:37:23 AM »

I have a 2010 23J.  Make sure that the slide windows by the dinette both work properly.  I have one that is very sticky and after speaking with my dealer it is a common problem.  I also added shelves in the back closets.  other than that is is a great camper.
mtkeg
Handle Cranker

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 01:55:10 PM »

thank you so much for writing back yorkgm!  We picked it up on Friday- and it is a beauty!  Same thing from a dealership- as always:  "we will go through it and clean it.....make it better then when it came off the line"!  Sure, other then pealing some transit stickers off, it looked as it did the day we first saw it.  Don't get me wrong- it is new and really clean- but same song and dance about cleaning it.......smudges on some windows, etc.   

Problem with the tow hitch- blew a fuse right off but no big deal- cranked it down and will put in another 50 cent fuse.

The power awning-   can you cantor it like a manual one for rain?   What do you use for wind?  I kept my old wind guards, but there doesn't seem to be anyway to attach it.

There  is a very quiet, high pitched sound near the rear bunk....the gas alert?  You would have to struggle to hear it.....but it's there.

Mike
Topflight
Handle Cranker

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 04:01:17 PM »

mtkeg,
If the power awning is the Carefree Travel'r like the one on our 2010 21M, it does not cantor.  It hangs straight out.
I'd prefer one that could cantor.
The faint high pitched sound is most likely from the power converter.  It has a small fan to cool it. The actual converter is behind a small panel held on by two screws.  Down by the floor is the separate fuse panel.  You should have some documentation on it in your packet.
Enjoy the new toy.

10 Jayco 21M Hybrid
08 Flagstaff 625D (we'll keep it for awhile)
04 F-150 RC/LB 4X4
DW
5 Dogs
Pais
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 04:11:24 PM »

We bought a Starcraft 237cks last year. We absolutely love it.  The only negative thing I have on it is the massive tongue weight.  Over 700lbs for a 24 ft TT.  I had a lifted 2005 Quad Cab Tundra that I first attempted to tow with.  It just couldn't handle the tongue weight... or I should say it made me nervous as hell driving with it.  We traded in for a new Nissan Armada which now doubles as the family vehicle.  It is fantastic.  It has auto leveling rear shocks which has NO issue leveling out the traveler when hooked on.  It lifts the tongue about 2 inches or so to level out the vehicle. 
I'm hoping they will be a good pair for years to come.

-Pais

2011 Starcraft Travel Star 237CKS
Was 2005 Toyota Tundra Quad Cab, 6" lift
Now 2010 Nissan Armada Platinum
bikendan
Back-er-in-er

Marin Redwoods "Redwoods Roo"

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 04:56:32 PM »

the 237CKS and its twin sister, the Jayco 23J, are a great layout and has some great features.
but, seeing that it's a copy of the 23SS, it weighs an extra 1000lbs. more than the much lighter 23SS.

if you have a TV that can handle the much heavier weights, i think it's a great trailer. i wish Forest River would adopt a similar bunk seal/hinge system. it looks to me as being the best on the hybrid market.

Dan-Firefighter
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur
Zoe-The Golden Fetching Machine(RIP)
Hybrid Orange 2007 Roo 23SS
Chevrolet 2007 Avalanche
California Napa, Cal.
Pais
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 07:00:39 AM »

We went in will all intentions of the Roo but just fell in love with the layout of the Starcraft and the way the tents worked.  The weight issue is a strange one though and something that people definitely need to watch out for. 

-Pais

shum
PUXaholic

Real trucks have NO spark plugs!

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 07:35:41 AM »

We bought a Starcraft 237cks last year. We absolutely love it.  The only negative thing I have on it is the massive tongue weight.  Over 700lbs for a 24 ft TT.  I had a lifted 2005 Quad Cab Tundra that I first attempted to tow with.  It just couldn't handle the tongue weight... or I should say it made me nervous as hell driving with it.  We traded in for a new Nissan Armada which now doubles as the family vehicle.  It is fantastic.  It has auto leveling rear shocks which has NO issue leveling out the traveler when hooked on.  It lifts the tongue about 2 inches or so to level out the vehicle. 
I'm hoping they will be a good pair for years to come.

-Pais

You are using a WDH?

Seems to me a 700 tongue weight with some decent WD setup and not to much in the box of the Tundra wouldn't be out of the question

2006 F350 Lariat FX4 4x4 CC PSD Ford
2007 KZ Outdooorsman 2505 QSS-F TravTlr Green
shum
SwingingBonnie DW
DS & DD
"don't panic"  Douglas Adams
Don't Dwell on the Past
FYBO II, III & IV!
Ontario Provincial Parks Advocate
Kiwi Camper
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 12:08:49 PM »

I just did some on-line investigating of the Starcraft 237cks.  I LOVE the floorplan such a smart us of space.  I hope that you & your family enjoy camping in such a nice HTT.  The towing issues are a bummer but it sounds like you have those worked out now.

ENJOY!

Melany
Brentwood, TN
2007 - Ford Expedition (Roxy)
2013 - Rockwood Roo 23SS -(Freddie Roo)
Pais
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 12:53:40 PM »

The floor plan is fantastic.  They did such a great job to of supplying lots of storage AND counter space.  It is the primary thing that sold us on it.

The 2005 Tundra just wasn't up to snuff (IMO) for this trailer even with the Equalizer hitch.  The specs on the 2007+ models looked good though.  I may have been able to stick with it and been ok but I wasn't willing to take the chance. 

The Armada is a monster and I have total faith it will do the job long term.  Now I'm on to looking at an appropriate bike rack setup (lots of forum topics on that) and some kind of stand for the generator when it is needed. 
I'm looking forward to a lot of trips this year.

Sunrise camper
Chocks-a-lot

Delco, PA. Nothing beats a night under the stars!

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2011, 02:52:08 PM »

Congrats on the new rig Pais.  We just took delivery of our new 2011 Starcraft.  Can't wait to camp in it!   I was told that the new power awning has the pistons in it to allow for rain run off (we'll see, I will be watching that the first time it rains) also told to pull it in for wind.   

This weekend is supposed to be sunshing and blue skies!!!   Out to Star Libra (my son's name for it) to put some shelves in and hang the towel holder.  May also see about a small  shelf or moded shoe holder to hold phones, watches and what not in the rear bunk, we'll see what I come up with when I get out there and get the bed open for prewetting.

Me-young at heart
DH-acts like an old man
DS-almost a tween
2011 Starcraft Travel Star 237 RBS
TV 2009 F150
 Hybrid Green  Pickup Grey
Nights camped
2009-6 nights tent, 6 in PUP
2010-11 in tent, 27 in PUP
2011-30 in tent, 27 in Htt
2012-12 in tent, 16 in HTT (10 more planned)
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: