October 23, 2014, 11:01:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hybrid with king size bunk?  (Read 3302 times)
rjniles
Back-er-in-er

Georgetown SC

« on: July 17, 2010, 10:59:10 AM »

My DW and I are considering upgrading from our pop-up to a HTT. The thing that stops us is the lack of a floor plan with a king sized bunk. All the models we have looked at only have a maximum queen size. Any one aware of a hybrid with a king size? Current or an older model?

Bob & Sandra

2002 Coleman Cheyenne
2007 Chrysler T&C
Oz and Us
PUX is my life

Burlington, Ontario, Canada

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 11:24:02 AM »

I've never seen or even heard of a hybrid with a "king" bed but rear glide king bed travel trailers are common and even more popular than the former queen bed versions.  The KZ Spree is just one of several brands offering rear glides in a number of different sizes and for many this type of expandable trailer is much easier to deal with than a hybrid with tenting.  Keep in mind also that hybrid bed mattresses almost always have a seam connecting two pieces which can prove REALLY uncomfortable to sleep on Dead whereas a rear king slide bed mattress is all one piece, just as is the mattress on a queen walk around bed in a traditional travel trailer, and in fact a popup.  Some manage to deal with it but for us it eventually proved to be a deal breaker ... we traded our hybrid for a travel trailer with a queen walk around bed and not only did all my annoyance with having to deal with tenting instantly go away but so did the mattress problem. Approve  Frankly, with so many rear glide king bed models now available on the market I can see only one really good reason for buying a hybrid instead of a rear glide or conventional travel trailer - you simply prefer sleeping under tenting and are willing to put up with having to deal with the drawbacks in order to do so.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 01:39:46 PM by Oz and Us » Logged

Oz Mods Gallery

'14 Freedom Express 192RBS / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'03 Fleetwood Yuma / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'08 KZ Spree 240BH-LX / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'07 RVision TrailCruiser C21RBH / '06 Silverado 4x4
2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe / '98 Explorer 4x4
'98 Jayco Eagle 10UD / '94 Caravan
'69 Coleman CT380 / '65 Impala

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy!"
bikendan
Back-er-in-er

Marin Redwoods "Redwoods Roo"

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 11:56:19 AM »

nope, as Oz said, the only "expandable" with a king bed, is a rear hard-side bed slide TT.

KZ and others make some with a king bed. but no canvas expandable has a king.

there might have been one hybrid made back in the early 2000's, that had a king. i seem to remember someone with one saying that it had a king bed. but i've never seen any pics of one. could be mistaken. Question
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 11:58:21 AM by bikendan » Logged

Dan-Firefighter
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur
Zoe-The Golden Fetching Machine(RIP)
Hybrid Orange 2007 Roo 23SS
Chevrolet 2007 Avalanche
California Napa, Cal.
Washington Camano Island, Wa.
Chuck S
PUX is my life

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 12:33:45 PM »

It's a physical/mechanical issue.

The limiting factor of a hybrid bed size is the drop down door.  It needs to hinge at a convenient height off the trailer floor (so you're not sleeping inches from the floor).  Many (most? all?) hybrid mattresses are partially supported by a shelf inside and the rest on the door.  Our mattresses hinge so the doors can fold up.  A king bed is 76" wide, a full 16" wider than a queen and there just ain't an extra 16" available.

Popups are different as the beds are drawers that pull out.  The size limitation there is the length of the trailer body and two kings will fit nicely in a "twelve foot"  popup box. 

-- Chuck

'02 Bayside '06 Roo 23SS behind '02 Explorer '07 Expedition out of Cleveland
Our Photos.
rjniles
Back-er-in-er

Georgetown SC

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 02:17:02 PM »

Thanks for all your responses. I was beginning to think it was a logistical problem or else some manufacturer would have built one.

My thoughts were trying to stay with a small light weight trailer and get the advantages of a TT. Looks like I will have to rethink our wish list or stay with the pop up.

Bob & Sandra

2002 Coleman Cheyenne
2007 Chrysler T&C
Oz and Us
PUX is my life

Burlington, Ontario, Canada

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 02:59:25 PM »

My thoughts were trying to stay with a small light weight trailer and get the advantages of a TT.

A lot depends on your definition of a "small light weight trailer" ... if it means a full height trailer in the 19' class or under then you're pretty well stuck with a hybrid and beds no larger than queen size because AFAIK there are no rear glide king bed trailers any shorter than 21'.  However, if you are willing to go to at least the 21' class you can have your choice of rear glide king bed models which have a GVWR not all that much different than similarly sized hybrids, with GVWRs ranging from 5000 lbs to 6000 lbs.  As an example the Jayco 213 rear glide model has a GVWR of 5500 lbs and measures 23' 10" coupler to bumper while the similar size Jayco 21M hybrid with queen beds has a GVWR of 6000 lbs and measures 22' 4" coupler to bumper.  The trick though is that even with this short a trailer, in this weight range, you need a decent tow vehicle so if you either don't have one or aren't prepared to upgrade then your choice is simple - stick with a 19' or shorter hybrid and live with the queen beds or as you say, stick with a popup.

Oz Mods Gallery

'14 Freedom Express 192RBS / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'03 Fleetwood Yuma / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'08 KZ Spree 240BH-LX / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'07 RVision TrailCruiser C21RBH / '06 Silverado 4x4
2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe / '98 Explorer 4x4
'98 Jayco Eagle 10UD / '94 Caravan
'69 Coleman CT380 / '65 Impala

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy!"
bikendan
Back-er-in-er

Marin Redwoods "Redwoods Roo"

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 05:27:42 PM »

Thanks for all your responses. I was beginning to think it was a logistical problem or else some manufacturer would have built one.

My thoughts were trying to stay with a small light weight trailer and get the advantages of a TT. Looks like I will have to rethink our wish list or stay with the pop up.

sounds like you don't want to upgrade from your T&C minivan.
honestly, you would only be able to tow the smallest hybrid out there, assuming your T&C has the factory tow package and the standard 3500lbs. tow limit.

Dan-Firefighter
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur
Zoe-The Golden Fetching Machine(RIP)
Hybrid Orange 2007 Roo 23SS
Chevrolet 2007 Avalanche
California Napa, Cal.
Washington Camano Island, Wa.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: