April 23, 2014, 02:56:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Costco Kirkland Deep Cycle Batteries on sale  (Read 37460 times)
digidad
Handle Cranker

« on: April 07, 2010, 07:16:54 PM »

All Kirkland Marine/RV Batteries are on sale this week at Costco (Canada)

Fitment code 16: DeepCycle 750CA/115Ah: 98$-20$off = 78$

Fitment code 15: DeepCycle 685CA/95Ah: 80$-16$off = 64$

Fitment code 14: Starting/DeepCycle 845CA/120Ah: 109$-22$off = 87$

I understand the 685CA/95Ah is a standard Group 24 size battery, which I already have a battery box for. I believe the others are phisically larger. Is the 685CA/95Ah a decent size? Is there any advantage/disadvantage to a Starting/DeepCycle battery compared to a regular DeepCycle?

2004 Palomino Pony P-2100
wavery
PUX is my life

TrailManor.......TRUE Pop-Up

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 07:40:58 PM »

Is there any advantage/disadvantage to a Starting/DeepCycle battery compared to a regular DeepCycle?
Yes........

For RV use, get a pure deep cycle. For a boat that you use dual for starting and running lights etc, get a Starting/DeepCycle battery.

Wayne, Carolyn & Sccamp 14  grandkids  ...Southern California
--------------
'98 Winnebago Adventurer 33
160W Solar Panels, Dual 6V Batteries

EX PU- '04 Trailmanor 2720SL........ 

3X PU '02 Coleman Tacoma

EX- TV - 2006 Chevy Silverado 1500 (ext cab) 157" WB.
T3
Wheel Chocker

Airdrie, Alberta

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 07:45:54 PM »

Thanks for the Costco tip!
Question... sorry, I'm very new to PUP's (yet to go on our first trip)...
Is it worth buying a second battery if I can get it on sale? What do most people travel with? 1 or 2 batteries? I guess to answer my own question partially... I'm sure it would obviously depend on whether or not there's hook-ups where we're camping..?!!  Roll Eyes

Are we campers who love photography or photographers who love camping?
I got a Nikon Camera... I love to take a photograph...
-Amanda-
Handle Cranker

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 08:11:49 PM »

Thanks for the tip. I've been wanting to buy a second battery and was eyeing the Costco ones because of the price. Was just waiting until we actually needed it but since they're on sale it's probably best to get one now. Do you know the actual sale dates?

Amanda w/ hubby & 2 kids British Columbia Canada
 Van White Dodge 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT  PopUp Grey 2004 Rockwood 1940 LTD
digidad
Handle Cranker

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 08:16:23 PM »

Do you know the actual sale dates?

I read that they are on sale until Sunday the 11th.

mountainrev
Back-er-in-er

Eagle, CO

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 09:40:48 AM »

Thanks for the Costco tip!
Question... sorry, I'm very new to PUP's (yet to go on our first trip)...
Is it worth buying a second battery if I can get it on sale? What do most people travel with? 1 or 2 batteries? I guess to answer my own question partially... I'm sure it would obviously depend on whether or not there's hook-ups where we're camping..?!!  Roll Eyes

The answer depends on what type of camping you do.  If you typically "dry camp," (i.e., without hookups), then you will need a good battery.  Whether you need an extra battery depends on a) how many days you camp w/o hookups, and b) how much you will be using your battery.  The lights on your camper, if used sparingly, will not run down your battery very quickly.  You can easily get five nights from a fully-charged group 24 battery if all you're doing is using your lights occasionally.  But if you're running the furnace a lot, then you might only get three nights or so off your battery.  Other things that draw down the battery include an electric water pump, if you have one (although that only runs on demand).

So if you plan to dry camp for extended periods, and will run your furnace, then you might want to consider a second battery.  They are heavy, rather expensive, and you will want to make sure you have a safe place to transport it. 

Another option would be to upgrade from a group 24 to a group 27 or 29.  They are larger than group 24's, so you will likely have to get a bigger battery box if you currently have a group 24 battery.

Hope that helps.

"I lift up my eyes to the hills."
'03 Viking 2270 Legend
'04 Dodge Durango
T3
Wheel Chocker

Airdrie, Alberta

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 09:58:28 AM »

That is tremendous help... Thank you mountainrev  Smiley Not sure what size battery we have, as it's brand new and I really didn't pay too much attention to that detail! Pretty sure I'll be able to get by on just the one for now.

Are we campers who love photography or photographers who love camping?
I got a Nikon Camera... I love to take a photograph...
wavery
PUX is my life

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 10:27:17 AM »

If you keep an old battery and buy a new battery, it would be best to use the 2nd battery as a "Back-up" battery and not hook the 2 batteries together. That is, keep one battery hooked up to the trailer and keep the other battery aside, fully charged, until the first battery is down to about 12V at rest. Then switch batteries and start using the fully charged back-up. This will also give you the opportunity to get the 1st one charged if your usage is higher than anticipated. 

If the battery that you have is "New" then it would be best to buy the exact same battery, if you intend to wire the batteries together.

Never wire an old battery to a new battery as the old battery will tend to pull the new battery down. This would greatly impact the amount of available amp hours.

--------------

3X PU '02 Coleman Tacoma

techntrek
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 05:49:18 PM »

You can use a deep cycle battery as a combo starting + deep cycle, you should just upsize the deep cycle battery (the amperage not the physical size) so it can provide enough amps for starting.  Some people use upsized deep cycles as starting batteries in cars and trucks because they'll last longer.

'10 Forest River R-pod 171 ~ '10 Chevy Suburban
digidad
Handle Cranker

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 09:51:25 AM »

I picked up the DeepCycle 750CA/115Ah today. If I won't be using it til summer, do I need to put it on a charger, or can it wait until I get the trailer from storage?

tsc
Back-er-in-er

SW Ontario, Canada

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 11:05:53 AM »

I would keep it in a warm place (room temp) without throwing it on the charger. That's how they store it in the store. I can't see it being too bad for it, since there is no parasitic drain on it and there won't be too much of a temp fluctuation.

2003 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat FX4
1973 AMF Sunkamper (hoping to upgrade real soon---now upgraded)
2009 Fleetwood Utah (maiden voyage 24 Aug 08)
wavery
PUX is my life

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 11:13:50 AM »

I picked up the DeepCycle 750CA/115Ah today. If I won't be using it til summer, do I need to put it on a charger, or can it wait until I get the trailer from storage?
Always store wet cell batteries fully charged.

It may well have been a month or more since the new battery had a full charge. I would put it on a 3-stage "Smart" charger for at least 24 hours before storing. Then charge it for a few hours, once every month while in storage.

In fact, if you have a good charger, you could just leave the charger on the battery and it will automatically "Maintain" the battery at full charge.

Wet cell batteries can self-discharge at the rate up to about ~.5AH per day. That's 15AH per month. In 3 months, the battery could be flat. Humidity will effect the rate of discharge. Also, be sure that the battery top is clean and dry at all times. Water and dust can conduct electricity between the battery terminals.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 11:21:18 AM by wavery » Logged

--------------

3X PU '02 Coleman Tacoma

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: