October 31, 2014, 11:44:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 6 pin coleman trailer plug,  (Read 7735 times)
fingersix
Handle Cranker

« on: October 26, 2009, 09:01:20 AM »

can anyone tell me if you can buy the 6 pin (square)trailer plug that is on my coleman,I'd hate to cut it off to wire a different end,,

Beacher
Parking Heckler

Sunny Southern California - USA

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 09:35:31 AM »

The 7-pin Bargman connector is the modern standard for Coleman trailers.  You can find replacement male and female connectors at RVshops, Uhaul, Ace Hardware, and even WallyMart.

Those same stores will usually also carry the "square" six pin connectors.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 09:42:19 AM by beacher » Logged

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman - GTE Niagara  ... For $ale
2014 Thor - Hurricane 34E
fingersix
Handle Cranker

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 09:39:01 AM »

no,,,, this is a six pin, 2 stacked 2 over 2,,,,5 females one male it is square in shape about the size of a piece of hubba bubba bubble gum,,,,maybe 1" x 1"

rabird
Parking Heckler

N. Texas

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 10:09:54 AM »

6-4 WAY 30 PIG GREEN-COLEMAN

http://www.hilltoprv.net/6-4way30piggreen-coleman.aspx
http://www.hilltoprv.net/search.aspx?find=coleman&log=false

another option is to get the 6-Pole Square Trailer Wiring Connector Kit (Car and Trailer Ends), cut off the vehicle end and rewire to what you need.

In a pinch, use a flat four (or two), cut off the ground plug then plug er in and wire the other end to your liking.

fingersix
Handle Cranker

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 10:30:07 AM »

beacher,, yes that is the square connector,,(should've scrolled down,,duh), none of my local auto parts places have it,,I'll keep looking,

SteveP
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 11:58:39 AM »

If all else fails, etrailer.com

Chuck S
PUX is my life

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 03:05:48 PM »

I'm confused what the goal is here?

If it's to plug the trailer into your tow vehicle the standard outlet on tow vehicles is a round 7 pole Bargman connector.  The appropriate plug for the end of your umbilical cord is a mating round 7 pole Bargman plug.  This plug is maybe seven bucks and plugs into all standard tow vehicles.  Cut your old plug off at the connector or take it apart and transfer the wires.

If all you have on your tow vehicle is a 4 pole "Boat Trailer" connector you won't get trailer brakes, nor 12v battery charge, nor backup lights.  Few have fitted backup lights, but the 12v battery charge will run your refrigerator on 12v while on the road, and the trailer brake connection is essential.  You need a Bargman connector on the tow vehicle.  Maybe $14 for this part and a little wiring.

Fit standard connections to the tow vehicle and trailer.  Don't try to cobble an old, obsolete, non-standard system.

-- Chuck

'02 Bayside '06 Roo 23SS behind '02 Explorer '07 Expedition out of Cleveland
Our Photos.
gijoecam
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 04:23:53 AM »

I'm confused what the goal is here?

If it's to plug the trailer into your tow vehicle the standard outlet on tow vehicles is a round 7 pole Bargman connector.  The appropriate plug for the end of your umbilical cord is a mating round 7 pole Bargman plug.  This plug is maybe seven bucks and plugs into all standard tow vehicles.  Cut your old plug off at the connector or take it apart and transfer the wires.

If all you have on your tow vehicle is a 4 pole "Boat Trailer" connector you won't get trailer brakes, nor 12v battery charge, nor backup lights.  Few have fitted backup lights, but the 12v battery charge will run your refrigerator on 12v while on the road, and the trailer brake connection is essential.  You need a Bargman connector on the tow vehicle.  Maybe $14 for this part and a little wiring.

Fit standard connections to the tow vehicle and trailer.  Don't try to cobble an old, obsolete, non-standard system.

-- Chuck

Chuck, LOTS of older trailers used (and still use) a 6-pin connector.  The cable can be disconnected from the trailer instead of leaving the umbilical cord hanging on the tongue.  Retrofitting a 7-pin connector with harness to the camper end is a royal pain as many of them have a flush-mounted connector on the frame rail itself.  In his case, it would be much easier to retain the connector on the trailer, and simply adapt to the tow vehicle.  It's all a matter of what's on the tow vehicle end (and I'm not exactly clear on that yet).

'03.5 Coleman Monterey  2004 Jayco Jayfeather 29Y, '00 Ford F-150 4x4

Gallery here

Light travels faster than sound.  That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
fingersix
Handle Cranker

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 04:24:49 AM »

I have the standard 4 pin flat connector on the TV, the trailer is missing the "umbilical cord" piece, because the 6 pin square one is tight to the frame,and was trying to salvage it in case the previous owner found the cord,,,went to another auto store last night, no square sixer, I'll look at etrailer,,, thanks

rjniles
Back-er-in-er

Georgetown SC

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 04:57:56 AM »

Looks like the first link that Rabird gave you is what you want. The 6 pin side to your trailer, the 4 pin side to your 4 pin on the TV

Bob & Sandra

2002 Coleman Cheyenne
2007 Chrysler T&C
Chuck S
PUX is my life

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 06:26:26 AM »

I can fit a standard 7-pole Bargman connector to the end of any trailer power cord in maybe 10 minutes and so can anyone else.  It's not a PITA in any way.  Just need to The only end that needs to be changed is the end that plugs into the tow vehicle.  Aft of that it can be hardwired or via another connector.

A 4-pole "boat trailer" connector will not have electric brakes as even the obsolete 6-pole connector has.  Takes a minimum of five (5) wires to get trailer brakes and even I can't get five wires from a 4-pole connector.  Wink 

No need to replace a bad connector on the trailer itself.  A pre-made full-seven wire cable is inexpensive.  Will require hard wiring it to the trailer, but connectors are the major source of electical problems so elimination of them should be a goal.

-- Chuck

'02 Bayside '06 Roo 23SS behind '02 Explorer '07 Expedition out of Cleveland
Our Photos.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: