August 28, 2014, 09:13:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 1996 Palomino - good or bad?  (Read 6883 times)
Hicks05
Kindlin' Collector

« on: January 28, 2009, 08:46:59 AM »

I need an opinion on a pop up and am hoping you all can help.  We are a family of 5, the kids being all under the age of 9 and are first time pop up buyers that have found a 1996 Palomino, 10 foot box for $1700.00.  After looking for several weeks, this seems to me to be a great buy.  I have only seen pictures as it is 2 hours from us and didn't want to make the drive if it was junky.  It appears to be in great condition and fairly roomy inside.  Can anyone tell me about this brand?  I don't really see it much out there which could be a good thing or bad.  Thanks for your help!
Spirit Deer
PUX is my life

Boundary Waters Canoe Area, Minnesota

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 09:52:42 AM »

We had a 1995 Palomino Filly RG (Rear Gaucho) for several years.  That had a ten-foot box.  That's going to be really tiny for a family of five.  It was just the two of us and we often wished, not so much for moving-around space although that was a factor, but for STORAGE space.  There was very little storage in that trailer.  You might not think that's a big deal but trust me, it can get to be because everything you can't store in the trailer has to be loaded for every trip and unloaded when you get home, and will take up storage space at home, too.

We added an AAR (Add A Room) and that helped a lot for additional space. 

Our trailer had been well cared for and it was well-built, too.  It towed like a dream, straight as an arrow behind our Safari van.  In spite of its size, if it would have had a hot water package, we'd probably still own it.  It was really a great little rig with fast set up and just all around an easy rig to deal with.

Rae, Fred, Sugar, and Minnesota

2013 Aliner Expedition Titanium Edition (Ty)
2002 Chevy Avalanche (Avvy)
Hicks05
Kindlin' Collector

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 11:24:31 AM »

Thanks for the info.  Storage was/is an issue.  We thought, no big deal, we can load and unload for that price.  Being first time buyers we aren't that sure what to look for although I'm learning.  We wont be going far at first, within 40 miles but will go further eventually.  It definitely has all the basics but it is just that, very basic.  Nice camper though.
Spirit Deer
PUX is my life

Boundary Waters Canoe Area, Minnesota

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 12:19:34 PM »

If it suits your needs, it's in good condition, and your tow vehicle can comfortably and safely tow it, it may be a good camper for you. 

Take your family along when you go to look at it, and then spend some time with all of you inside.  See how it feels.  Could you stand to spend a rainy afternoon there?  Think about the things you will need to store and carry in the trailer.  Where will those things go?  How much room do you have in the tow vehicle and what things will you carry in there?  How much food do you need to bring for your family for a weekend trip?  How many coolers?  How many bags or boxes of food?  Where will all of that go?  Will a dog be traveling with you?  Where will all the clothes go?  Etc.

Be sure to open every single cabinet and bench in the camper when you look at it.  You may be surprised how much space is taken up with various utilities in the cabinets, leaving less storage space than you may think.

Camping with five in a ten foot trailer can be done, and there are plenty of people on this forum who would be able to help you figure out how to make it work.  Just make sure you're making an informed purchase, which you're starting to do by posing your questions here. 

Rae, Fred, Sugar, and Minnesota

2013 Aliner Expedition Titanium Edition (Ty)
2002 Chevy Avalanche (Avvy)
Tom-TC
Back-er-in-er

Twin Cities, MN, USA

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 03:16:20 PM »

We've had a 1994 Palomino Filly since about '96.  It has been excellent.  No major problems; in fact, few problems at all.  It has been an excellent camper for us.  Most of our camping was with four of us, but that included two daughters, one of whom carried along enough stuff for three other people.  We have camped with five in the camper, (all adults), and it was not too bad.

The awning with the add-a-room makes a tremendous difference in relieving the cramped feeling.

If the one you are looking at is in good condition, that seems like a good price.  I'd say give it a try.

Tom

94 Palomino Filly
01 Chevy Astro AWD
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: