October 24, 2014, 04:31:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Lightweight RV'ing - ideas and things you've discovered  (Read 6777 times)
Oz and Us
PUX is my life

Burlington, Ontario, Canada

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2014, 07:46:32 PM »

Walmart has been clearing out the Q120 with a stand for $150.

$150 US for a Q120 with a stand is a steal! Tongue

Oz Mods Gallery

'14 Freedom Express 192RBS / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'03 Fleetwood Yuma / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'08 KZ Spree 240BH-LX / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'07 RVision TrailCruiser C21RBH / '06 Silverado 4x4
2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe / '98 Explorer 4x4
'98 Jayco Eagle 10UD / '94 Caravan
'69 Coleman CT380 / '65 Impala

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy!"
shum
PUXaholic

Real trucks have NO spark plugs!

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2014, 02:55:52 AM »

Walmart has been clearing out the Q120 with a stand for $150.

$150 US for a Q120 with a stand is a steal! Tongue

Yes it is  Wink  Picked up my Q100 many years ago in Fathers Day sale for $100. 

Lightweight RVing......................??  Nah  Evil

2006 F350 Lariat FX4 4x4 CC PSD Ford
2007 KZ Outdooorsman 2505 QSS-F TravTlr Green
shum
SwingingBonnie DW
DS & DD
"don't panic"  Douglas Adams
FYBO II, III & IV!
Ontario Provincial Parks Advocate
S1njin
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2014, 03:41:51 AM »

I shared your observations/concerns with the Weber change.  As luck would have it I was at Lowes looking for shelving (to start getting my camp stuff off the garage floor).  There was 1 Weber Q120 left on the shelf by me.  I didn't have a 10% coupon on me so I asked the girl if there were any others in stock around me - she looked it up and told me 'nope'.  $179 - looking to clear it out.

Walmart has been clearing out the Q120 with a stand for $150. Can't tell from your signature if you are in the US, you might try going the following link and see if your local stores have any left.

Q120 with Stand

Sold out of my local stores.  Even put in my old PA address (which is where my Jayco dealer is) and they are sold out there too.  I'll take what I can get; the last proven Q120 around me.  Now if I dig up that coupon ....

ClassC Black 2014 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 31h
S1njin
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2014, 08:55:17 AM »

I thought there would be more ideas; maybe folks aren't that worried about it or maybe this forum is slow cause its off-season? 

Looking forward to getting the new rig packed up to see exactly where I am.  I'll have the yellow sticker from Jayco giving me the dry weights.  I'll know to add 100 pounds for the battery and hot water heater water.  I'll put it on my Sherllne Tongue Weight scale once I get it home to take the baseline. 

I'll than weigh everything that goes in, and see where the tongue weight scale puts me.  Adjust cargo as necessary, and hopefully have a few hundred pounds of spare capacity.  500+ would be real nice.  I'm especially fond of the ample front cargo area my X213 has as I can easily manipulate the tongue weight by adding/remove gear from that cavernous area.  I'm thinking it'll be a great place to stick all my storage bins while in transit if I need more tongue weight and I have the CCC to spare.

shum
PUXaholic

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2014, 10:17:22 AM »

I thought there would be more ideas; maybe folks aren't that worried about it.................

More than likely this is the reason.  It's no fun RVing and having to worry about cargo capacity, I know my DW doesn't like it, so I made sure she can bring what ever she want with her.  Last time I weighed my rig and truck was four years ago and I won't weigh it again till I have a new rig.

...........besides, if I want "light weight camping" that's what my back pack and canoe are for  Cool

shum
SwingingBonnie DW
DS & DD
FYBO II, III & IV!
mstrbill
Off Duty Moderator
Parking Heckler

Austin, Tx

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2014, 11:35:43 AM »

Sold out of my local stores.

Yeah, they started the clearance on Jan 9, so it's probably not surprising that the stores inventory are approaching zero. It took me 2 stores to find one here.

Bill

the Camping Poms: Joy, Tori & Bella the Yorkie
2008 Fleetwood Niagara Highwall -  PopUp Blue  SUV Black - 2004 Chevy Suburban LT
96 Coleman Bayport -  PopUp Blue Pickup Blue - 98 F150SC - lots of great memories, but got tired of fighting the sagging cracking ABS roof
bikendan
Back-er-in-er

Marin Redwoods "Redwoods Roo"

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2014, 02:21:33 PM »

yea, i'm not a fan of worrying about every little ounce of weight.
that's why i bought a truck and trailer combo that allowed plenty of weight cushion.
i go camping to relax and forget about the normal day to day things of life, not to obsess if i can take something i want, because it weighs a certain amount or am i taking too much water in the FW tank. Dead

too me, having a marginal tow vehicle, like a minivan towing a HTT or TT, isn't worth the few gallons of fuel it would save. we have a car that gets great gas mileage for general purposes. but my truck is for towing without needing to be concerned about how much is in the trailer.

Dan-Firefighter
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur
Zoe-The Golden Fetching Machine(RIP)
Hybrid Orange 2007 Roo 23SS
Chevrolet 2007 Avalanche
California Napa, Cal.
Washington Camano Island, Wa.
Oz and Us
PUX is my life

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2014, 02:27:54 PM »

I thought there would be more ideas; maybe folks aren't that worried about it or maybe this forum is slow cause its off-season?

Probably the former as I suspect the vast majority just don't care how heavy they are nor even know 'cause they've never weighed their rig, their TV, considered how much all that "stuff" they do drag along really does weigh, and you can bet that you and I would be the exceptions to owning a Sherline tongue weight scale.  No wonder there are so many discussions about tire and axle failures or weight distribution setups that just don't seem to solve handling problems.  Go figure.

For those owning a trailer with sufficient CCC it's not so much about the total weight as a few hundred pounds either way isn't going to make any difference at all to how well the trailer may tow.  Rather, I'm more interested in controlling the weight of individual items simply because I don't want to have to constantly slug heavy ones around when a lightweight version will serve just as well.  That's the reason I long ago gave up on a heavy wheeled tote tank in favour of Aquatainers I can lift with one finger, why I replaced a heavy, smelly outdoor carpet with a poly weave version that weighs next to nothing, why I use a tiny 12 volt lithium ion cordless drill to run my stabs up & down when most use a heavy 18v, 19v, or 24v model, why I invested in a really nice, lightweight aluminum 3-step ladder so I can clean off the top of my slide rather than dragging a full size ladder out of my workshop and taking it instead.  Some will carry 100', 200' of potable water hose just for the "convenience" of hooking up but we camp so seldom on sites offering water it's pointless for me ... so I carry 25' and call it good, if that won't do it then I'll just use the pump as I otherwise would do anyway.  I do normally take lots of power cable but for a good reason - it's often necessary when camping here in Ontario.  Why take countless numbers of chairs ... bring a couple for yourself and DW, kids never sit still long enough so chairs for them are a waste, and if you're entertaining others on your site let 'em bring their own.  Good grief, countless times I've seen others carrying a full size BBQ in the back of their truck Shocked ... why?, when something like a small Weber Q, even a Weber GoAnywhere will work just fine ... and don't get me started on those who decide they just have to have a second fridge sitting outside the trailer!  A friend who nows owns a fifth wheel was so concerned about rain back in the days he owned a popup that on every trip he cover the entire camper with a massive tarp - had to measure 30' x 50' easy ... but why?!  One time during a group gathering I had a ham that wouldn't fit the pot I had for it ... no problem, one in our group went to his truck and pulled out a Sawzall ... now who the heck camps with a Sawazll?!! Shocked  We've owned a FirstUp screen room and while it can be handy from time to time we found that having to constantly unzip & zip it just to get in and out got old awfully quickly .. frankly, I just can't be bothered anymore and it sure was a pig lugging it in and out of the trailer's storage compartment.  Really, the list goes on so if you want to save weight it's just a matter of being selective, choosing only those items that really will be used on pretty well every trip, and when there's an option to choose a lighter version over a heavier version then go with the lighter one.

Oz Mods Gallery

S1njin
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2014, 04:41:05 PM »

... and you can bet that you and I would be the exceptions to owning a Sherline tongue weight scale.  No wonder there are so many discussions about tire and axle failures or weight distribution setups that just don't seem to solve handling problems.  Go figure.

I can't imagine doing it any other way ... really.  I figure if they are giving me numbers to factor into the safety of my family and those folks driving around me I ought to factor that in.

Plus it makes me feel better to know I'm within the limits of my toys.

cdnbayside
Parking Heckler

Brampton, Ontario, Canada

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2014, 04:41:47 PM »

Looks like the Weber Q's have been upgraded slightly.

Restyled for 2014, the Weber Q 120 is now the Weber Q 1200. The grill has the same great performance and sleek styling, but adds new aesthetics that are both functional and fun, including larger grip handle and control knobs, ergonomic side handles, sturdy front and rear cradles, larger-sized fold-out side tables with greater rigidity plus the familiar Weber Q logo branded in the lid. Split grates allow for a grate/griddle cooking combination

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-51060001-Q1200-Liquid-Propane/dp/B00FGEHG6Q

On the topic of lightweight rv'ing, our Outback has a sticker "Keystone Super-Lite" on the front so it must be a lightweight camper.  I have my doubts though as it weighs 8000 lbs with our stuff inside.  Everything for camping stays in the camper all year.  We only add clothes and food for each trip.

10 Outback 300BH 13 F-150 FX4 3.5 Supercrew
Nights 05:44 06:42 07:39 08:42 09:32 10:43 11:41 12:35 13:30 14:26
 Canada Ontario  USA New York Michigan Ohio Pennsylvania New Jersey Maryland Virginia North Carolina Florida Georgia Alabama South Carolina Kentucky Tennesee West Virginia
S1njin
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2014, 05:31:28 PM »

That's what I'm going for; clothes and food.  I want to put a little easy in this coming year's camping instead of the requisite fire drill 2 hours prior to departure.  It really stinks heading out to have fun when everyone is salty.

shum
PUXaholic

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2014, 06:50:54 PM »

Really, the list goes on so if you want to save weight it's just a matter of being selective, choosing only those items that really will be used on pretty well every trip, and when there's an option to choose a lighter version over a heavier version then go with the lighter one.

........but why?  Weight really doesn't save you anything, not fuel anyway.  6k lbs or 7k lbs, my truck still gets the same fuel mileage.  Really, the only things that I can think of I would like are a lighter mountain bike and canoe, but there is an extreme price difference when trying to shed weight from both those items  Tongue

DW has here eyes on some heavier pots for the kitchen and I keep wondering if maybe I could use one more 100' 10/3 electrical cord  Wink  Even bought a small air impact gun to go with my compressor for the camper.......the list goes on and gets longer.  I have a "bug out" rig and didn't even know it  Cool   ...........and some wonder why I want a toy hauler??

shum
SwingingBonnie DW
DS & DD
FYBO II, III & IV!
CraigK
Handle Cranker

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2014, 07:09:41 PM »

I bought an ultra light so my coly could tow it. After one season the coly was rear ended and totalled. I went out and bought the biggest 4x4 GMC made. Never looked back. I fixed the coly, big mistake, never do a buy back, but the coly doesn't pull the camper anymore. I may use the coly to ferry the camper 3 miles from storage to the camp site at the most. But if I going on the road its the big *** 4x4. You can never have too much truck. I found the issue with the coly wasn't weight or power, the issue was stopping going down hills. It is nicer pulling at the bottom of the weight limits than on the top edge of weight limits. I still use the tow bars just for the antisway on the big truck.

And as far as milage goes, my little coly got better millage than the big GMC pulling the camper. But it is the wind resistance at the end of the day that determines fuel economy, weight has nothing to do with it.
S1njin
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2014, 07:40:59 PM »

This really had nothing at all to do w/ mileage but everything to do w/ CCC of, in my case, a conservative Ultralight Trailer.  While leagues beyond my first hybrid mistake, I still need to be mindful within reason.  I have enough breathing room to not stress, but not so much that I'd feel comfortable not knowing where I am give or take a hundred pounds.

This thread is turning into a good read though.

Oz and Us
PUX is my life

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2014, 09:19:02 PM »

Really, the list goes on so if you want to save weight it's just a matter of being selective, choosing only those items that really will be used on pretty well every trip, and when there's an option to choose a lighter version over a heavier version then go with the lighter one.

........but why?  Weight really doesn't save you anything, not fuel anyway.

Seems you didn't read my post in it's entirely Lou, especially near the beginning where I said -

"For those owning a trailer with sufficient CCC it's not so much about the total weight as a few hundred pounds either way isn't going to make any difference at all to how well the trailer may tow.  Rather, I'm more interested in controlling the weight of individual items simply because I don't want to have to constantly slug heavy ones around when a lightweight version will serve just as well."

When S1njin started this thread he didn't even mention fuel cost ... rather, having been "burned" with his previous hybrid he's just looking for ways he can better respect his new trailer's CCC.  He also didn't say anything about not having "enough truck" as Craig mentioned, nor need he as he's towing with a more than adequate F150.  Of course you're both right in the points you made but that wasn't the question being asked.  Roll Eyes

Oz Mods Gallery

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
  Print  

Jump to: